The MPEG-H Audio System:
Next-Generation Technology Providing Immersive and Personalized Sound.
Fraunhofer has developed this system, based on the MPEG-H 3D Audio standard, to offer an enhanced sound experience for broadcast and new media services such as UHDTV, immersive music services, 4K video streaming or Virtual Reality.
Be in the middle of the action: The MPEG-H Audio system delivers enveloping immersive sound from all around the listener.
Be closer to your idol: Immersive music services, powered by MPEG-H bring fans and artists closer together. Listener will be immersed in sound from every direction as intended by the content creator.
PERSONALIZE YOUR SOUND
- Select your preferred audio presentation from several preconfigured versions in one stream
- Seamlessly switch between languages
- Adapt the audio mix to your needs and preferences
- Enjoy an enriched sports experience – multiple commentaries, home and away team announcers, venue sound like being at the event
- MPEG-H everywhere over multiple platforms – on the go – in your living room – in your home theatre – in the car
- One production, one stream to all devices – always the best possible sound experience
Enhanced Speech Intelligibility with Dialog+ and Advanced Audio Description
With its unique personalization features, the MPEG-H Audio system offers fully user-adjustable dialogue level and customizable audio description that are under full control of the content provider, allowing the media consumption experience to be tailored to individual preferences and needs.
Next-generation open audio standard
The system is based on the MPEG-H 3D Audio standard from ISO/IEC MPEG, the international standards group responsible for many globally dominant media standards such as MP3, AAC, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, AVC/H.264 and HEVC/H.265. The MPEG-H Audio system is included in the ATSC, DVB, TTA (Korean TV) and SBTVD (Brazilian TV) TV standards. It is the audio codec selected for ATSC 3.0 broadcasting in South Korea and is the first next-generation audio system used on-the-air since broadcasts began in South Korea on May 31, 2017
Ease of use
The MPEG-H Audio System is designed to work with today’s well-established streaming and broadcast workflows. Immersive sound can be played back over TV sets, loudspeakers, headphones, or MPEG-H equipped soundbars.